Friday, January 30, 2015

Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll bring one-liners to joint news conference - Boston Herald


Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll shared the stage this morning in Phoenix at the Super Bowl media center for a joint news conference, and the pair continuously offered their admiration for one another while also having fun with some of the questions.


This is Carroll's natural element, as the personable coach is always quick with a joke. While Belichick is more reserved, his persona was certainly not a shock.


When they were both asked what they'd like to establish early in the game, Belichick replied, "What I'd like to establish is the lead."


They were also discussing Robert Kraft's influence on their early coaching careers. Carroll, of course, coached the Pats from 1997-99 between Bill Parcells and Belichick. And Belichick again said he is indebted to Kraft for giving the Jets a first-round pick to hire him in 2000.


Carroll later interjected, "You got a first-rounder for you? Is that what you said? I was barely a free agent. Maybe that's why Robert got me out of there after three years."


Belichick replied, "I was a free agent after Cleveland."


Carroll responded, "I heard that."


Carroll was also asked about his tenure with the Patriots and included a funny tidbit in the middle of his answer.


"I got pounded a couple times," Carroll said. "I got fired a couple times in the league, and I know everybody likes to have fun with that. My therapist tells me I should always talk about it, bring it up and make sure I don't hide from it."


Carroll was asked early in the news conference, which has become a tradition since John and Jim Harbaugh shared the stage at Super Bowl XLVII, how cornerback Richard Sherman is expected to handle the game if his girlfriend goes into labor with their soon-to-be son. Carroll said it's ultimately up to Sherman before closing his answer with a doozy.


"I wish him luck, and I can't wait to see little Petey," Carroll cracked.









Source: Top Stories - Google News - http://ift.tt/1vfC3HU

0 comments:

Post a Comment