Thursday, November 27, 2014

From parents to pumpkins, kids find a lot to be thankful for - The Times and Democrat

2014-11-27T03:00:00Z From parents to pumpkins, kids find a lot to be thankful forBy DALE LINDER-ALTMAN, T&D Staff Writer The Times and Democrat



Art Linkletter always said, “Kids say the darnedest things,” and Jesus said about children, “of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.”


If you’re already a little “holiday weary,” tired of shopping and cooking, you might want to pay a visit to a local kindergarten or day care.


Talk with the kids about their take on life. They have a way of looking at things that cuts through to the chase and reminds you of the simple things of life.


Students at Sheridan Elementary School, Wesley Christian School and St. Paul’s United Methodist Church Day Care recently shared their thoughts on Thanksgiving with The Times and Democrat — even though a few times the reporter had to explain what thankful meant.


Sheridan Elementary School


Daniel Williams


“I’m thankful for my friends. I’m thankful for my family and my teachers. I’m thankful for my letters and my numbers. I can count to 100.


“We’re going to have turkey for Thanksgiving. We get to have pumpkins. I’m thankful for chicken. I’m just a little bit thankful for fish. I don’t like fish.


“I’m thankful for my mommy, too.”


Jahauna Larkin


“I’m thankful for my family and my friends. I’m thankful for my school and my home. We get to eat turkey on Thanksgiving. I got a pet fish, but not a dog. I am thankful for my school and my ABCs.”


Taniyah Eadie


“I’m thankful for my parents. They do nice stuff for me. They buy me presents and make my bed. They take me to church and shopping and Frankie’s Fun Park. I love them very much.”


Azaria Bovain


“I’m thankful for my family and friends and my cousin. I’m thankful for my dog. His name is Midnight. He’s a big dog. I always check on him when I get home from school.”


John Tucker


“I’m thankful for my chickens. I’m gonna let a lot of eggs hatch out. I’m thankful for my mom. She gets me stuff. I help her when she’s sick. I make sure my mommy gets better. I try to make sure she don’t work too hard. I help her and my daddy when they’re sick and they help me when I’m sick.”


Samari Boneparte


“I’m thankful for my mommy, I’m thankful for my daddy and sister and my auntie.


“We’re eating carrot cake and turkey on Thanksgiving. I’m thankful for decorations for Thanksgiving. I’m thankful for my sister and my friends and my teachers.”


Samari said she hopes it will snow.


“I’ll be thankful for snow,” she said. “I want to throw snowballs at my sister.”


Micah Davis


“I’m thankful for my doggie, Puff. I jump on the swing with him. We chase each other. When I get home from school, he’s waiting for me. He’s got a dog house inside and a dog house outside the house. When I wake up in the morning, he’s sleeping inside. When I come in from school, he’s in the house outside.


“I’m thankful for my daddy and momma and my two sisters. One is big and one is 8 years old. My big sister lives in her own house. She has a girl who is 7. ... I’m thankful for my teacher.”


Demetrius Bennett


“I’m thankful for my teachers and my school. I’m thankful for my cat and my mother and my father and my ABCs and my numbers and my puzzles.”


Lorenzo Riley


“I’m thankful for my mom and my dad and my family and my baby brother. He’s about this big,” Lorenzo said, measuring off about a foot and a half.


“I’m thankful for my teacher and my dog. I’m thankful for Christmas. I want a motorcycle.”


Sandasia Felder


“I’m thankful for food, for my grandma, for my mom and for my brothers and sisters.” To her mom, Sandasia says, “You are the very best mom. You take me shopping and make me good food.”


Tyliek Williams


“I’m thankful for my mom and my family. I’m thankful for my home because some boys and girls don’t have a home. I love Thanksgiving because it’s a time when you get to spend time with your family. You get to spend time with people you love and have a feast.”


Eric Cheeseboro


“I’m thankful for my mom because she keeps me safe. She helps me with my homework and she cares about me. I’m thankful that I’m able to come to school. I love my family.


“I’m trying to be good so I’ll get my education.”


Wesley Christian School


Logan Bircheat


“I’m thankful for my dog. He almost ran away, but my brother and his friend caught him. Now he’s locked up in a cage, but we let him out sometimes. He’s half beagle, half schnauzer.


“I’m thankful for church. They have green mints at church. I like green mints. I’m thankful for my mom and dad.”


Tayvian Snell


Tayvian is thankful to take karate and “I’m thankful for learning all my karate moves. I’m thankful for my mom and for my uncle and for my dad.”


Jenna Foreback


“I’m thankful for my mom and for riding my bike. I’m thankful for my big sister and for school and the teacher.”


Timyra Shaw


“I’m thankful for Ms. Susan and for my house and for corn. I’m thankful for turkey and Tayvian and Jenna and Logan. I’m thankful for my school and the second grade and grandma’s house. We’re going to grandma’s house and eat for Thanksgiving. I think we’re going to watch TV and play outside.”


Dylan Self


“I’m thankful for turkeys and chickens. I wish I had a pet chicken and pet turkey to play with — maybe a hamster or a guinea pig or a rabbit because they’re soft. I wish I had a pet because it would be really fun.”


Christian Stroble


“I’m thankful for my family and for my friends and for God and for Miss Susan.”


St. Paul’s UMC’s Day Care


Makayla Winters


I’m thankful for my momma. I like to help my momma around the house a lot. I helped Momma set up Christmas. I do clean up my room and brush my hair for myself sometimes.”


Her mom doesn’t have to help her, Makayla said. “I’m 5.”


Makayla said she’s also thankful for her sisters.


“Kylie is my biggest sister and her’s 6. Remmie is 1 year old,” she said. “And I’m thankful for Khristian. He comes here.”


Khristian Moore


“I’m thankful for going to Oma and Pop Pop’s house. Oma has yellow hair. I mean white hair. I’m glad about Makayla. She’s my friend. I’m glad for buying a toy when my dad gives me $5. When I get out of school, my dad’s going to give me $5. My mom told me I could buy five toys at Dollar Tree. I’m glad about rainbows in the sky and butterflies and grasshoppers and ladybugs. I’m glad about drinks – grape soda. I like drinks.”


Jacob Taylor


“I’m thankful for Christmas and my mommy and daddy and my brothers. I’m thankful for my grandma and granddaddy and Miss Sue Sue and Cody and Madison.”



Copyright 2014 The Times and Democrat. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.








Source: Top Stories - Google News - http://ift.tt/127jJT4

0 comments:

Post a Comment